Friday, September 19, 2008

Dog Bite and getting ready for puppies

I was walking home from dropping off the car for a service when the neighbour's dog ran out of their house and bit me on the leg. It was not a big dog so the bite was only very minor. However, it did break the skin and draw blood. So when I saw my neighhour I told her what happened and she said that the dog has been vaccinated (she didn't say specifically against what but I assume it included rabies). I have already had the pre-exposure shots for Rabies. If we weren't sure about the rabies status of the dog I would need to go to the hospital and have another 2 post exposure shots. But based on what my neighbour's told me I don't think I need it. Only the second time in my life I've been bitten by a dog. The first time was 27 years ago when I was in kindergarden and I still remember it.

A vet student from a short-term team which will be coming to visit us later this year has given me advice about how to prepare for the impending puppies. So I've made this make shift home for Phayu. Unfortunately, she won't stay in it. She likes the home she's dug in our front garden. I also need to find some tablets for intestinal worms just incase she has been infected with these (apparently these can spread to humans). What's the thai word for "worms" I wonder?

No comments: