Monday, May 04, 2009

Why did Jesus decide not to reform the church from within the system?

I've been thinking lately about why Jesus chose to 12 unknown ragamuffin disciples rather than using Rabbis and other Jewish religious authorities? In effect he chose to start afresh rather than reforming the existing Jewish church. He worked outside of the system to overturn it rather than from within the system to reform it. May be it was just easier this way. I have no problems relating to this if I think of how hard it would be to reform modern day denominations!

Sometimes working within the denominational system is so hard, tiring and disheartening when you try to do something outside the box. It almost makes you want to throw up your arms and say that's it, I'm outa here. Perhaps a blog isn't the best place though to air my gripes so I'll resist the temptation.

In terms of what we are doing right now in Lampang, in many ways we are working outside of the system. We are not working at the moment in co-ordination with the other local churches in Lampang. Of course we would love to, but it just wouldn't work. Our vision is for a movement of house church with no paid professional pastor, no church building, small groups of up to 12 believers. The vision of the existing church is exactly the opposite.

We are looking and praying for a Thai believer to join our team but we want someone who shares our vision. Without a Thai co-worker we are very much constrained in terms of cultural insight and Thai way of thinking. We pray that God can overcome these constraints until God provides a Thai co-worker.

No comments: