Tuesday, September 01, 2009

3 way language block

Just a moment ago I received a phone call at home. It was for my mum. I answered the phone in English, but then the woman caller spoke Korean so I switched to Korean. She wanted my mum's mobile/cell phone number. I started reading the number from the piece of paper on the fridge and I got stuck half way through on the number 5. The word which kept coming into my mind was "haa". But that didn't seem right to me. I tried again but the same thing. I said it out loud but it was definitely not right. Finally, after stumbling a few times, I gave up and started to read the number in English. I couldn't understand it. What was wrong. How could I forget basic numbers in Korean. After a minute or two I realised what it was. "haa" was 5 in Thai. No wonder it felt wrong. "Awe" was 5 in Korean. Hopefully I won't have too many of this language mix ups in the future.

No comments: