Saturday, March 14, 2009

Spelling mistakes


I went to our son's school to enroll him for "Day Camp" over the summer at his school and find out what we needed to do to enroll him for the new school year starting in mid May. I spoke to our son's teacher who advised me that since our son had not attended 80% of his classes the regulations of the school would not allow him to progress up to the next class. We only send our son to the Thai school 3 times a week (he is only 4!) but most Thai send their children 5 days from 3 years old. So the teacher requested that we write a letter explaining why our son didn't attend 80% of the time. I had to ring my Thai language teacher and get our son's teacher to explain what she wanted because I was having difficulty understanding what she was wanting. Our language teacher then wrote out the letter we needed to submit and I quickly typed it up on the computer and went back to the school with letter in hand. Our son's teacher looked at it and said "there are spelling mistakes" and started to correct my spelling mistakes in pencil. So I had to go back home and correct the spelling mistakes and resubmit the letter. One of the spelling mistakes was our surname (used the wrong vowel ใ instead of โ). Makes you feel great when you can't spell your own name and have you son's pre-school teacher correct all your spelling mistakes. But that's missionary life for you.

No comments: