
Before and since our eldest son's birth, we must have read and bought over a dozen child rearing books at least. We even attended a 24 week course. Still raising our children and shepherding their hearts has been a challenge. I think most parents would struggle with this issue especially with young children.
Here is the latest book on Christian child rearing I'm reading - "Raising Godly Tomatoes". I'm half way through it (so is Lisa) and we have started implementing the principles in the book. Like some other Christian child rearing books, first time obedience and 100% consistence are basic and essential principles. Although there is a strong emphasis on training the child's heart which I like. So although obedience is required, it is cheerful obedience which is the goal (unlike perhaps the book "Train up a child").
Unfortunately for those looking for a quick fix, this book isn't for you. To make this method work you have to spend a lot of time with the child at first. It is very intensive and time consuming training - be warned.
The author has 10 children and is open to the possibility of more. She home schools as she believes that this is important in preventing worldly influences to impact on their child before they are adequately trained.
There is spanking, though never in anger and only on the bottom.
I think this is one of the better child rearing books and we'll see how we go with it.
See their website for more info.
3 comments:
We've recently discovered To Train Up a Child and I really think it all sounds good, practical and theoretical. They warn about spanking on the bottom..! (as you probably are aware of...) Also, it sounded like the children got to be very cheerful, even during the training phases (I've noticed it actually with Lukas).
sounds good. We are meaning to read "Shepherding a Child's heart" by Ted Tripp but haven't gotten to it.
Hi Peter and Karl,
Thanks for your comments. From memory (its been several years since I read it) "Train up a child" can appear harsh to people because initally there is a bit of spanking before the child begins to obey. Personally we tried to implement "Train up a child", I remember thinking it was great. Then it was hard to be consistent and we were still spanking quite frequently.
Shepherding a Child Heart (again read many years ago) was great theoretically and Biblically based, but light on practical advice.
Raising Godly Tomatoes seems to have a good balance. Helpful examples of situations we are stuggling with. A good focus on training godliness in children.
I just finished the book and highly recommend it.
Post a Comment