Sunday, August 23, 2009

Reverse Culture shock 1



We’ll we’re back (in Sydney)! Thailand gave a fitting farewell. The plane taxied to the runaway. Their were blue skys when we left the terminal. We had 4 planes in front of us waiting to take off. 5 minutes later, it was bucketing down with rain, so hard that at times you couldn’t see more than a few metres ahead. With winds up to 100kph, the Captain decided to wait on the tarmac. We sat on the tarmac for 40 minutes before it was safe for us to take off.

The 8 hour flight was not so bad as our two sons slept reasonably well (apart from our eldest son vomiting some flem up). However our daughter (9 months) woke every couple of hours.

We landed in Sydney at around 5:30 am (2:30am Thai Time). We got through immigration and picked up our bags in quick time. Too quick in fact. We forgot our stroller. So it took another 20 minutes to get Qantas baggage staff to go back in and get it.

First reverse culture shock happened at the airport. Lisa was feeling faint so I went to buy her a bottle of water. AU$3.50 (120 baht) for one small bottle of water! I couldn’t believe it! So expensive. Prices seemingly have gone up incredibly in the last 2 and half years. I had to do some grocery and other essential shopping yesterday at the local supermarket (Woolworths). I didn’t buy that much but I ended up forking out nearly $200. That’s nearly amounts to 6,000 baht in Thailand (and a month's rent or us in Lampang). The most I’ve spent in Thailand has been only half that amount for a lot more things.

The second reverse culture shock was the amount of choice at the supermarket. In Thailand (outside of Bangkok or Chiang Mai) there are maybe 5 different cheeses all up in just one small row of the diary section. In Australia, the cheese has it’s own section taking up half an aisle. I felt overwhelmed with choice to the point I couldn’t buy anything. With things being so expensive I didn’t want to make an expensive mistake. The range of food (at this small to medium size Woolworth’s supermarket) was extraordinary. So much choice with everything and so nicely packaged.

One positive reverse culture shock was not seeing a single dog on the 1 hour trip from the airport back to my parent’s house. Also, I’ve hardly heard a dog bark (apparently our neighhour has a small dog though which barks and poos in our lawn). Anyway, I didn’t hear any dogs barking last night and had a great sleep.

I got to see my first Bledisloe Cup (Rugby Union - Australia vs. New Zealand) on T.V for the first time in over 2 and half years. Unfortunately, Australia lost by 1 point in the final minute (not much has changed in this regard).

Anyway, more reverse culture shocks in up coming posts.

6 comments:

Louisa Claire said...

Hey Rich, welcome back. How long are you around for? Thanks for sharing these reflections. It is ridiculous how expensive things like food and water are here. We have just realised our grocery bill is about $50 a week more expensive than 6 months ago, and we shop at a fruit & Vege market and Aldi. I almost fall over when we step foot into a supermarket!! Enjoy some reprieve...hope it's not too costly!

Richard Cho said...

Hey Lou, We are back for at least 7 months. It will depend on how things go with medical issues with our kids being resolved in that time. Hope you are well.

juliette said...

Welcome back! are you living around St Ives at the moment? We'd love to catch up with you all. Our church (St Ives Community Church) is having a big open day on 25th Oct so you can find us there if you want, or I'd email you our contact details (most haven't changed) so you could get in touch with us, but I'm loath to leave them on the blog because of scammers and phishers.

Richard Cho said...

Hi Juliette,

Yes, don't leave your email address here. Please email us. We'll probably visit St Ives Community Church in the next month or two as we are supported by Christchurch.

Rich

juliette said...

That's great Rich, but I can't work out what your email address is from this blog - call me blonde! Also St Ives Community Church is a different denomination to Christchurch - not that you're not very welcome to visit, and not that we don't work with Christchurch quite a bit, particularly with Emma C and Scripture teaching, but organising a visit might not be quite like you imagine it to be :). Google St Ives Community Church and contact us through there if you want.

Love to Lisa and the kids(!! - last time we saw you, you had one newborn)

Richard Cho said...

Hi Juliette,

No I don't think you can get my email from the blog. I'm a bit paranoid about privacy with the web.

Yes, I was mistaken. Christchurch has the St Ives Family Church congregation which is very similar in name obviously. I went to your church's website but couldn't see an email address to contact you.

Could you email me. The address is my firstname and lastname (one word) at hotmail.com (it is an old email address I don't use but then at least I will have your email and then I'll email you with my current email address. A bit long winded sorry but serves the purpose.

Yours,

Rich