The woman on the right was a student of mine in Lampang. Her husband (left) had already come to Australia and was studying English while working as a Thai masseur. After returning to Australia I was able to contact them and meet up for lunch last month and yesterday to spend the morning together. I helped work out how to use the ferries at Circular Quay.
I was invited by the leader of the Thai Diaspora ministry in Sydney to come visit their English teaching outreach sometime ago and I'd arranged my meeting with my Thai friends for the same day. So I invited them to come along with me. They didn't stay for the lesson but did sign up and they will start coming from next week.
It is not an easy life live in Australia. Sometimes they work until 3-4am and then have to go study English on top of that. They have left their 3 year old daughter with their parents back in Thailand. They hope to eventually be able to have enough money to bring her over to Australia.
It was encouraging to see so many Thais attending English classes (around 20?). Also I was surprised to a see some shops with Thai writing only! Obviously there are a reasonable numbers of Thais living near the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment