Monday, October 12, 2009

My childhood photos

They say that a picture can tell a thousand words. Well these photos are worth at least a few laughs to those who know me now. I dug these photos up from my parent's house.

Feb 1981, a preschool photo in Korea just before I left for Australia

Can anyone pick me out in this photo?

1981, A few months later, kindergarten in Australia

Not hard to pick me out (tip: click on the photo to make it larger)

Obviously, my parent's had not been able to get us a school uniform yet. At least I had the right coloured shirt (thought not exactly the right shade of blue). My brother was wearing a red shirt and stuck out much more than I did in his photo. I know how my parent's must have felt because I put my son through the same thing when he went to school in Thailand. Funny how your memory changes of things. I thought there was only 1 other Asian kid in my class in those days. But I can see at least another 2 in this photo.

School photo, 1987

As I was looking through these photos (I have all my class photos from 1981 through to 1987) I could remember all my teachers names still from year 3 onwards (Mr Higgins y6, Mr Bishop y5, Mrs Baker Finch? yr 4, Mrs Thompson yr3). I was curious as to where all my classmates have ended up in life. I started doing a google search with their names just for the fun of it. The third name I searched proved fruitful. She is currently a lecturer in Law at Sydney Uni. I remember her being very smart in yr 6. I recently saw one of my classmates in an annual report for airline company and found out that he was as the CEO of Asia Pacific Aviation. I wonder what other things google will find out.

The other thought I was left with was wondering how my life would have been different if we hadn't moved schools so much and I had the same set of friends from kindergarten through to the end of highschool. That would have been special, but something my kids will probably not enjoy either.


No comments: