Wednesday, January 27, 2010

This is fishing

Bonito (tuna family) 47cm

4 large sized Bonito

Our family holiday in Avoca (NSW Central Coast) provided an opportunity to do some rock fishing at Avoca Beach. I've never been rock fishing before. The first day was a complete failure. I just got snagged on the rocks nearly every time. Most other fisher were using bobby floats so I made a note of buying some before coming back. The second day, I caught one slimy mackerel of decent size, probably around 40cm. The biggest fish I'd ever caught anyway. By the end of the week I was getting better and I caught a Kingfish about 55cm (which I had to let go as the legal size limit is a whopping 65cm) and plenty of large sized Bonito. We had plenty of fish for sashimi and pan fried.

It was so much fun with plenty of fish to be caught. The real fishermen were catching up to 30 Bonito a day. I don't know whether I can be content with the undersized bream I normally catch now and have release on the rivers I have been going to.

No comments: