Last week Nick (team leader) had a chance to visit the US Center for World Missions (where the Perspectives course was developed), courtesy of Larry Dinkins an ex-OMF Missionary to Thailand who works there. After Larry gave a seminar to the faculty on storying, he organised a meeting with most of the faculty to discuss evangelism amongst Thai Buddhist and our situation in Lampang. Many of the faculty are experts in their fields and it was an amazing discussion. It was a but surreal meeting many of the people who write articles for the Missions Frontiers magazine which I used to pick up at Bible college. I certainly left the meeting with many things to think about.
I can say the same after the Threshold conference. The sessions didn't help me as much as I had hoped, but hearing the testimony of a group which had started an organic church in Gainsville, Florida last year made me long for the community they had. Many of them sold their homes to move to Gainville to join the new group which formed out of last year's conference. The US economy is pretty bad so not all of have found jobs and are still living off the proceeds of their house sale. The sense of community and love from what they were sharing was amazing. I got many of their contact details so that I can keep up with how the group develops in the future.
I think the two things above made the trip worth the large personal expense of flying to the US.
No comments:
Post a Comment