Last month I lent a fellow missionary my motorbike to use while we were going to be away. Unfortunately, she was just learning and lost control and accelerated into a busy street and was hit by a car. Praise God that she wasn't injured seriously.
When I returned from holidays a Thai friend told me that I should sell my motorbike because it was “bad luck”. 5 people have already had a crash on this motorbike since I bought it less than 3 years ago. I should really sell it and buy a new bike to escape this motorbike with bad luck.
Another missionary was able to buy a virtually brand new car very cheaply as the owner had hit a Chinese person on a bicycle (which was bad luck).
From a western perspective, we would argue that there have been so many accidents because all the people who had crashes were new or relatively inexperienced riders. So that is why people had accidents. But for many Thais, in their worldview, you cannot ignore the “bad luck” of the bike.
No comments:
Post a Comment