Monday, July 09, 2018

Crisis of the soccer team stuck in Flooded Caves


12 boys and their assistant coach have been trapped in flooded caves in Chiang Rai for the past 2 weeks.  3 of the boys and the assistant coach were rescued last night and the rescue operation continues for the other 9 boys.  The plight of the boys has caught the attention of the world and is on the top of the news cycle in many countries.  It has pushed into the background the other major news in Thailand of 2 tour boats which sank of Phuket with over 40 people drowned in the accident.  

During the week I took a team from Australia to a temple in Chiang Mai to a "Monk Chat" where you can talk with monks about Buddhism.  One of the team asked how as a Buddhist they could help these boys.  I didn't catch the nun's answer completely.  I'm not sure if she implied that they would make merit and that merit would be shared with the boys?

The next time I go to a "Monk Chat" this would be the question I would ask.  How does Buddhism help in situations like this?  As Christians we would pray to God for his help for rescuers and and boys to bring them out safely.  What would Buddhist do?  Was a result of the boys bad karma that they ended up in a situation like this?  Or was it just a foolish decision to go into the caves just before the rainy season?From the news report the assistant coach sounded like he was a very good towards the boys in taking care of them.  He was an orphan though but he was in the monastery before becoming the assistant coach.  I did see some monks at the rescue site.  

Our prayers are with the rescue team and the boys.  May all of the 9 boys be brought out safely.  


No comments: