Reflecting back on our first term in Thailand, it's hard to believe the number of crazy experiences in our short 2 and half years. It seems that at least a normal 10 years worth were crammed into 2 and half.
How can I forget getting a call from my wife telling me to rush back to the languauge school because a fellow missionary has been hit by a car while on her motorbike and having to ferry this missionary to the hospital in my back seat. Then trying to translate for my friend with only 10 months of Thai. How can I forget our neighbour's pitbull terrier sinking its fangs into our househelp's thigh while trying to protect my wife and baby daughter. How can I forget having a tyre blow out going at 120kmph on a 8 lane superhighway on the way home from Bangkok.
I think of the number of missionary who have had to suddenly return home because of cancer or some other serious medical problem and can't help thinking is this normal?
This week our team member had a car accident in Lampang driving to the Lighthouse for an outreach activity. Sure I could be overspiritualising, but I couldn't help thinking that this was another attempt by Satan to discourage our team members. In Thailand, we didn't need much help in seeing that we were part of a spiritual battle.
How can I forget getting a call from my wife telling me to rush back to the languauge school because a fellow missionary has been hit by a car while on her motorbike and having to ferry this missionary to the hospital in my back seat. Then trying to translate for my friend with only 10 months of Thai. How can I forget our neighbour's pitbull terrier sinking its fangs into our househelp's thigh while trying to protect my wife and baby daughter. How can I forget having a tyre blow out going at 120kmph on a 8 lane superhighway on the way home from Bangkok.
I think of the number of missionary who have had to suddenly return home because of cancer or some other serious medical problem and can't help thinking is this normal?
This week our team member had a car accident in Lampang driving to the Lighthouse for an outreach activity. Sure I could be overspiritualising, but I couldn't help thinking that this was another attempt by Satan to discourage our team members. In Thailand, we didn't need much help in seeing that we were part of a spiritual battle.
1 comment:
I have "stolen" the last paragraph of this blog for our newsletter! But you've lived in Thailand long enough not to worry about copyright. :-)
Post a Comment