Sunday, April 12, 2009

Another bad movie experience

I went to see a movie at the local cinema on my afternoon off yesterday. Part of the reason for doing this is for language learning.

There were only two movies showing, a very graphic horror movie or the movie pictured above. I didn't know what the Thai meant so I only had the picture to go by. So I bought a ticket and went in not knowing really what to expect.

Unfortunately it was another bad choice. The plot is that a girl's school wants to have a guys football team, so it's the first year that the school allows boys to enroll. But, there are only 16 boys who come to enroll and 7 of them turn out to be transsexual. Need I say anymore. I guess in Australia we had Priscilla Queen of the Desert. But that was a one off. In Thailand there are many movies with a transsexual bent. It is reflective of the society where it is acceptable to be transsexual. At Thai schools you'll see some male students with makeup and lipstick, in male uniform but acting very feminine.

This is the other poster for the movie. Now if I had seen this before I bought my ticket I would not have been fooled.

A scene from the movie to give you a bit of an idea.

Fortunately there were trailers for some movies coming up which looked much more promising. X-Men Wolverine; Terminator 4, The Shinjuku Incident.

2 comments:

Anita said...

Love the change in your blog page!
Love the updated family photo too!

Shame about the dodgey movie ... the upcoming movies do sound promising!

Hugs ++ esp to the girls in your family! Will the elder of the two be home on Tues pm for me to call??

Karl said...

Most Thai movies (like movies in general), are not worth the time or money. I have found a few good ones though. "โอเค เบตง" is worth watching although I found it challenging language wise. And "ลูกทุ่ง FM" is a funny one from a few years ago. Besides those and some of the historical epics (like Suriyothai or the ก้านกล้วย animated film for kids), I can't think of any decent Thai movies to recommend. Looking for a Thai movie on DVD at ร้านแมงปอง or someplace like that has much more promise that taking your chances at the movie theatre (unless you enjoy being forced to choose between horror, gangsters, and กะเตย)

Also, I agree that the updated template is much nicer. Good choice!