Last night I rung the Pastor of a church in Lampang who I heard was moving to Bangkok next month to do his Master of Divinity. I invited him for a meal together so that I could see him one more time before he left. I told him to come to my house at 1pm so that we could go an eat lunch together. I was very surprised when I came home at 12:30pm after teaching English at the Lighthouse to see his motorcycle parked outside our house. I was even more surprised when Lisa told me that he's been there since 11:45am. I was sure that I'd said to meet at 1pm. How was I misunderstood. Well, in Thai, the literal translation of the word Lunch is "food at midday". Obviously, I hadn't explained that I wanted to meet at 1pm clearly enough and when I mentioned having lunch he said that in Thai culture you arrive 15 minutes before noon to go eat together. Oh, well, I'll know for next time.Above is a photo of what I had for lunch. I think it was chicken joints. That's what it tasted like anyway. It was o.k, a bit too sour and salty for my liking. Sorry I forgot to take the photo before I started eating.
No comments:
Post a Comment